Thursday, January 7, 2010

Eating My Words, or 'Shut Up and Try the Salmon, Jess!'

Anyone who knows me knows I'm no fan of salmon. There's something about the oil that taints everything you touch when preparing it to the fishy smell of it even when it's cooked that usually just makes me want to run screaming. Everyone from my mother to my chef instructors have told me that it shouldn't smell fishy when it's cooked properly but every time I've tried it it just leaves me cringing. And honestly, it bothers me that I can't get over it because I feel like I need to be able to taste dishes I'm cooking for others objectively and I haven't been able to do that yet regarding salmon.

Today I had a revelation. A salmon eureka. We had a guest speaker today at school; Rick Oltman, the owner of Cape Cleare Fishery came in to speak to us about sustainable fishing practices and he brought with him a 12-ish pound silver salmon for us to break down and work with. He also brought a 5 lb smoked salmon. The difference, I discovered, is all in the way the fish has been handled.

Rick and his crew catch each salmon individually hook-and-line, gut, bleed and take the fish down to -40 Fahrenheit within half an hour to 45 minutes of bringing it over the side of the boat. Once it's frozen, they dip it into extremely cold sea water, which forms a protective glaze over the entire fish which prevents the cold, dry air of the freezer from sucking the moisture out of the fish while at sea. Also, by taking it down to temp so quickly, the cell walls don't rupture, the flavor isn't lost, the gorgeous color is preserved and the end result, in today's case, was a salmon that was frozen two years ago blowing a market-fresh salmon out of the water, pardon the pun.

We broke the salmon down, practiced removing pinbones and then we cooked a couple small pieces, seasoned with just salt and pepper. It was seriously epic. There was no fishy taste, just a really moist, lightly-seasoned bite of what salmon should taste like. Chef Kären explained that it was all because of the way the fish was handled before it was frozen. Fisheries can say their product was "frozen at sea", but that usually means it's been tossed in a boat's hold and frozen on shore.

The smoked salmon was equally delicious; it was also a two year old salmon that Rick had thawed and alderwood-smoked. The only way it would've been better is if I had a bagel and some cream cheese to go with it.

Long story short, it was a revelation and I am merrily going make my way to the Ballard Farmer's Market where Rick bicycles to every weekend with his product in cooler trailers and pick up some of his smoked salmon! In this case, I was happy to be proved wrong, and when I'm in a position to make purchasing decisions in the future, I will definitely be giving Rick Oltman my business.



Photograph ©
Tim Giraudier

8 comments:

  1. I eat Samon out of can. Sometime I squirt ranch dressing on it. Does this mean I'm an abomination?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome to hear you tried it out and liked it! I grew up on fish so the smell or taste of salmon doesn't bother me one bit. (Although, I will admit it ranks pretty high on the smell factor.) At the Fish Club, my favorite dish was their salmon with poached egg. The skin was extra crunchy. I definitely enjoy living somewhere where fresh salmon can be served.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bohler - Please. I've heard your tuna salad recipe. You're more of a foodie than you pretend to not be. But you are an abomination in general, which is why we love you.

    Are you a non-canned salmon fan also?

    Kris - Upon first bite I felt bad for all those times I gave you sass about liking salmon. Trust me, I'm overjoyed to have been proved wrong in this instance. I'm hoping you like Cape Cleare salmon as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bohler and I were eating salmon at that mariachi restaurant in Pasadena during the auction. Because we were the cool kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salmon is one of those things I am super-picky about...and I think it's because of the same things you mention. Thanks for shedding some light on the processing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah...my general rule about salmon is to buy a small piece, take it home, and fry it up with nothing but salt for seasoning.

    If it tastes bad, I get a new fishmonger.

    I haven't had to take out pinbones on a fish in years. I made the sad mistake of forgetting to ask the fishmonger to bone the fish for me as I was stuffing it with couscous and dried apricots. I spent the entire afternoon working the damn bones out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jules - It really was eye-opening to learn that it was all in the way the fish was handled and not necessarily about how old the fish is or where it was shipped from.Do you have a hard time getting good quality salmon down there, being mostly landlocked and with no salmon fisheries?

    Anyway, all the more reason for you to come visit Kris and I. :)

    Rhett - I'm a big fan of letting food taste like itself and only flavoring lightly because too many cooks try to cover up bad ingredients with heavy-handed flavoring and seasoning. What's the point of eating a fresh chicken breast if all it tastes like is whatever you doused it in?

    I used to be really intimidated by the idea of breaking down a whole anything, let alone salmon, but it's vastly less complicated than it seems and well worth the effort for the ability to control your own portion sizes and cuts, etc. Pinbones can be a pain if you don't get them all, though. Nothing worse than having fish sent back to the kitchen because ithad a bone in it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great to know. I've always had the same problem, and I'm glad to know There might be a salmon out there I would enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete